Home < General Information < Rules, Rights, and Responsibilities

Rules, Rights, and Responsibilities

Academic Integrity

UW–Madison students have the obligation to conduct their academic work in a manner consistent with high standards of academic integrity. They also have the right to expect that they and other students will be graded fairly, and they have the rights of due process should they be accused of academic misconduct. Therefore, it is important that students:

  • become familiar with the rules of academic misconduct (UWS Ch. 14);
  • ask their instructors if they are unsure whether something is acceptable (for example, how to use sources in a paper or whether to work with another student on an assignment);
  • let instructors know if they think they see incidents of misconduct;
  • be aware that helping someone else cheat is a violation of the rules; and

For complete discussion of the rules regarding academic integrity, see the Dean of Students website, or contact the assistant dean for academic integrity at 608-263-5700 or Room 70 Bascom Hall.

Student Rights and Responsibilities

Every member of the University of Wisconsin–Madison community has the right to expect to conduct his or her academic and social life in an environment free from threats, danger, or harassment. Students also have the responsibility to conduct themselves in a manner compatible with membership in the university and local communities. UWS Chapters 17 and 18 of the Wisconsin Administrative Code list the university policies students are expected to uphold and describes the procedures used when students are accused of misconduct. Chapter 17 also lists the possible responses the university may apply when a student is found to violate policy. The process used to determine any violations and disciplinary actions is an important part of UWS 17. For the complete text of UWS Chapter 17, see this link, or contact the on-call dean in the Dean of Students Office, 608-263-5700, Room 70 Bascom Hall.

No student may be denied admission to, participation in or the benefits of, or discriminated against in any service, program, course or facility of the [UW] system or its institutions or centers because of the student's race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status or parental status.

Student Grievance Procedure

Any student at UW–Madison who feels that he or she has been treated unfairly has the right to voice a complaint and receive a prompt hearing of the grievance. The basis for a grievance can range from something as subtle as miscommunication to the extreme of harassment.

Each school or college has a procedure to hear grievances. Generally the process involves an informal attempt to solve the problem, if appropriate. If not, more formal proceedings can be undertaken until a resolution is reached. Advisors and school or college offices have detailed information. For assistance in determining options, students can contact the on-call dean in the Dean of Students Office, 608-263-5700, Room 70 Bascom Hall, Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

Seeking Assistance

A student can seek help at many places on campus, for both personal and academic problems. For answers to general questions on many topics, a good place to start is Ask Bucky, which is an excellent general referral service.

For personal problems, Counseling Services, a unit of University Health Services, offers a variety of individual, group and couple counseling services. Experienced counselors, psychologists, and psychiatrists are available to assist students in overcoming depression and managing anxiety, and in developing self-awareness and understanding, independence, and self-direction. The counseling staff is experienced and sensitive to students of diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds. Counseling Services is located at 333 East Campus Mall; 608-265-5600. In addition, an on-call dean in Student Assistance and Judicial Affairs is usually available by telephone (608-263-5700) or on a walk-in basis (75 Bascom Hall) Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

For academic problems, many places can offer help. The student should first discuss the problem with the professor or TA. If the problem is not resolved at that time, the student can speak with an academic advisor or the chair of the department. If further assistance is needed, the student should contact one of the academic deans in the school or college.