Home < Schools, Colleges, and Programs < School of Education < Academic Policies and Procedures

School of Education

Academic Policies and Procedures

Academic Actions and Exceptions
Academic Standing: Dean's List, Academic Probation, etc.
Additional Major
Attendance Policies
Auditing a Course
Concurrent Enrollment at Two Institutions
Continuation Requirement: Department of Kinesiology
Credit Overload Permission
Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS)
Directed/Independent) Study
Dual Degrees (completing two degrees simultaneously)
Grades and Grading Policies
Grievance Policy in the School of Education
Independent Learning Course Enrollment
Last 60-Credits Rule for Admission
Late Course Adds or Drops
Part-Time Enrollment Status
Pass/Fail Option for Grading
Reentry to Campus after an Absence
Repeating Courses
Residency (Major and Senior) Requirements
Satisfactory Progress/Excess Credits
Students with a Previous Degree
Withdrawing from UW–Madison

Academic Actions and Exceptions 

Academic actions and exceptions are used to record a student's progress through the university and to document various administrative and academic situations. Actions can be grouped into two broad categories: (1) those that permit exceptions to program requirements and school/university policies and (2) those that affect a student's standing in the university—e.g., probation or transferring from one program to another.  

As the undergraduate dean's office, Education Academic Services (EAS) is responsible for reviewing, approving, documenting, and sometimes initiating academic actions and exceptions. To be posted to a student's record, exceptions must go through several steps. Exceptions may be initiated either by program faculty/staff or by EAS staff. EAS staff and faculty/staff often consult about a specific exception. Once an exception has been approved, it is processed either as an official "Dean's action" or as a DARS exception. Students can find a record of dean's actions on their printed unofficial transcript (also called the student record) or on their DARS report. A DARS exception will be reflected in the individual student's DARS report. 

Exceptions to faculty approved program requirements generally include course substitutions and rarely involve course or program requirement waivers. Exceptions to campus or School policies include permission for adding or dropping a course beyond the deadlines, waiving senior or major residency requirements, extending the deadline for meeting a deficiency or finishing an Incomplete, and permitting students to repeat a course for credit. A request for an exception requires careful consideration from all parties involved. Students should be prepared to explain the reasoning behind a request and offer supporting documentation. 

Substantial consultation time with faculty, staff, and/or deans may be required, so students should not expect to receive an immediate answer to a request during the initial appointment.

Academic Standing: Dean's List, Academic Probation, etc.

To remain in good academic standing in the School of Education, students must earn both a semester grade point average (GPA) and a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5. While the 2.5 grade point average may not be sufficient to permit students to be considered for admission to their program of choice, it is the minimum required to remain in the School of Education. This may be substantially higher than minimum grade point average requirements in other schools/colleges on campus.

Dean's List. Students have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA and 3.5 or higher for the semester. Students must have received no incompletes in graded courses, no unreported grades, or end-of-semester academic actions for the semester. Credit/no credit and pass/fail courses are not considered in meeting the requirements for the Dean's List.

Probation. A student's grade point average for a particular semester falls below 2.5, while the cumulative campus GPA remains at or above 2.5. Students must earn a minimum 2.5 grade point average on the next semester's coursework to be removed from probation status.

Strict Probation. Strict Probation occurs when either (1) a student's cumulative GPA falls below a 2.5 OR (2) a student already on probation earns less than a 2.5 grade point average for the subsequent semester. To be in good standing, students on strict probation must earn both a 2.5 GPA on the next semester's coursework and also have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 by the end of the next semester.

Continued Strict Probation. A student already on strict probation obtained a 2.5 GPA or above on the next semester's coursework, but the cumulative GPA is still below 2.5. Once both grade point averages are at or above 2.5, the student will be in good academic standing.

May Not Continue in the School of Education. Students on strict probation or continued strict probation who earn less than a 2.5 GPA on the next semester's work will receive notice that they may not continue in the School of Education. Students on May Not Continue status who do not seek or are not granted permission to continue may be withdrawn from the university and dropped from courses ("disenrolled"). Students are expected to contact EAS immediately to discuss options, including transfer to another school or college on campus, transfer to another university, or withdrawal from UW–Madison.

Students on Strict Probation or Continued Strict Probation status have an enrollment hold placed on their record for the subsequent semester. These students are not permitted to enroll until they have met with an EAS advisor.

Additional Major 

School of Education students may be permitted to complete an additional major with their School of Education degree program. Important: Students must have been admitted to the professional part of their degree program to be eligible to add an additional major; pre-professional students cannot add another major.

Education students wishing to complete an additional major in the College of Letters & Science must complete these steps:

  1. Print the Major Declaration form
  2. Contact the department that houses the major of interest. Meet with the undergraduate major advisor there, if appropriate. Complete the Major Declaration form and obtain departmental approval (usually a signature or stamp).
  3. Take the form to Education Academic Services, 139 Education Building, 1000 Bascom Mall, and ask for a dean's action to permit the additional major. Staff at EAS will take the action and send the form to the registrar's office. Note: Students in the School of Education should not take the form to the  L&S Student Academic Affairs office —even if this is the advice of departmental staff. Requests for an additional major will be rejected by the registrar's office for lack of the appropriate dean's approval.
  4. Students will be granted a degree at the end of the fall, spring, or summer semesters in which all School of Education degree requirements are complete. Graduation will not be postponed if students have an unfinished additional major or certificate program that is not required for the degree.

Exceptions to the requirements of an additional major or certificate program must be approved by the department and school/college dean's office in which the major or certificate program is located.

Attendance Policies

Faculty and instructors may require students to attend scheduled meetings of a class and/or to participate in other course-related activities, including distance activities. Students are responsible for materials presented in such meetings or activities. Because courses are designed and conducted in diverse ways, faculty and instructors are expected to inform students in writing at the beginning of each course if there are specific expectations for attendance/participation, including whether any component of the grade is based on such attendance/participation.

Auditing a Course

A student may audit a course only if the instructor consents and if no laboratory or performance skills are required. (The second restriction usually prevents students from auditing Dance or Art courses.) Auditors do not participate in classroom discussions or take examinations, but are expected to attend with reasonable regularity and do some assigned work.

Audited courses carry no degree credits, are not graded, do not count in determining full-time/part-time load for enrollment certification in an academic term, and do not meet degree requirements for School of Education students. Students interested in auditing a course should confer with their EAS advisor. The deadline to change a course from credit to audit is the end of the fourth week of classes; no exceptions to this deadline are permitted.

Concurrent Enrollment at Two Institutions 

School of Education students may occasionally choose to take courses at another institution—e.g., Madison College or Independent Learning through UW–Extension—while being a fully enrolled student on the UW–Madison campus. This is generally permitted, but does require a specific dean's action. Full-time or part-time student status is usually determined by the credits taken at UW–Madison only; thus, students who take only nine credits on campus and three credits at another institution may not be considered full-time students.

Continuation Requirement: Department of Kinesiology

All students admitted to undergraduate programs in the Department of Kinesiology, including Physical Education, must maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.75, based on all UW–Madison campus coursework. A student whose GPA falls below 2.75 will be placed on probation for the following semester. If the GPA remains below a 2.75 at the end of the probationary semester, the student will receive a discontinuation letter indicating that they must transfer out of the Department of Kinesiology. A hold will be placed on the student's registration for the second semester following the probationary semester, until the transfer is complete. Students in this situation must transfer to another School of Education program, another UW–Madison school/college, to another institution altogether, or must withdraw from the university.

If a student wishes to appeal being discontinued in the department, it must be done in writing to the Chair of the Undergraduate Studies Committee within 30 days of the date of the notification letter. The Undergraduate Studies Committee may request that the student appear in person at an Undergraduate Studies Committee meeting to present the case.

If a negative decision is reached by the Undergraduate Studies Committee, a student may choose to appeal in writing to the Department of Kinesiology Student Affairs Committee within 30 days of the date of the notification.

If a negative decision is reached by the Department’s Student Affairs Committee, a student may choose to appeal in writing to the Chair of the Department of Kinesiology within 30 days of the date of the notification.

If a negative decision is reached by the Chair of the Department of Kinesiology, a student may choose to follow the School of Education Grievance Policy.

In the event of a positive decision at any level, the student will be allowed to continue for one semester in order to raise the GPA to 2.75 or higher. A 2.75 cumulative GPA is required to graduate from the Department of Kinesiology.

Credit Overload Permission

The School of Education allows students to carry a maximum of 18 credits per semester without special permission. School of Education undergraduates may, with an academic dean's permission, enroll for more than 18 credits in a semester. Students must confer with a School of Education academic dean about such a request. Students must be in excellent academic standing to be considered for a credit overload and will be liable for the additional tuition costs beyond 18 credits. 

During summer sessions, students may, as a rule, carry one credit per week of instruction. The maximum credit load for Education students for the entire summer session is 12. Session-specific limits follow the rule of 1 credit per week of instruction, except 9 credits are allowed in the Eight-Week General Session. Students must obtain permission from an academic dean to carry an overload in any of the summer sessions. 


School of Education programs require a minimum of 120 credits in all programs for graduation, although many programs will require more. Most students will complete additional credits. To earn 120 credits in four years (eight semesters), students must average 15 credits per semester. The number of credits carried each semester may depend upon a student's preparation, motivation, course selection, employment, and extracurricular activities.

Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS)

The Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS) is an automated reflection of a student's academic progress toward completion of a degree. A DARS report shows which requirements have already been completed and which requirements remain unsatisfied. It can offer suggestions about appropriate courses that may be taken to meet specific requirements and can assist in the academic planning process. 

Students can access DARS reports through their Student Center in My UW–Madison. Go to the Academics tab and find DARS on the dropdown menu. It is strongly recommended that a report be run whenever a registration change (i.e., adding or dropping a class) is made. 

Students can also request a "what-if" DARS report. This feature makes it possible to select any number of programs and/or majors on campus and run a DARS report as if pursuing this option. School of Education students in a pre-professional classification such as Pre-Elementary (PRE) should request a "what if" DARS report of the professional program that is of interest. The "what-if" option is also an excellent tool for students considering new or additional areas of study. 

DARS is not intended to replace student contact with academic advisers. It encourages a more beneficial relationship between student and adviser because valuable advising time is not lost calculating how courses and credits fit into requirements. The quick and thorough analysis provided by DARS allows more time in an advising appointment to discuss course options, research opportunities, graduate school, or issues of personal interest or concern to students. DARS is the document of record, i.e., certifying document of degree completion, for most program areas in the School of Education.

Directed/Independent Study

Directed Study, also called Independent Study, offers the student an opportunity to work with a School of Education faculty member on an individual topic of interest. Most School of Education departments make directed study courses available to students on the basis of the student's preparation and motivation and a faculty member's willingness to accept the student in such an endeavor. Directed Study courses are numbered 199, 299, 399, and 699.

This study option is intended primarily for advanced students who have a depth of knowledge in a field, the self-discipline necessary for independent work, and strong motivation to pursue a special project. Some program areas limit the number of Directed Study credits that can be applied to major or minor requirements. 

Directed Study is taken as a supplement to, but not as a replacement for, available course offerings. In this way, it may be used to expand areas of particularly strong interest. Extra responsibility is required from the faculty member involved, and no member of the faculty is obligated to accept a proposal for a directed study project. Students should have a well-defined outline of the topic to be studied before discussing the project with a faculty member. 

Both the student and instructor must follow UW–Madison's Policy on Directed/Independent Study for Undergraduates. Important components of this document include, but are not limited to:

  • The student's responsibility to develop a written study plan, in collaboration and agreement with the instructor, consistent with the responsibilities of the instructor. The study plan will include expectations for learning and student work, the time and place for regular meetings, the number of credits to be earned, and any other issues related to the learning experience.
  • Guidelines for assigning the appropriate number of credits to the Directed Study.
  • Responsibilities of the Directed Study instructor
  • The approval process for enrolling in a Directed Study after the course add deadline (usually the end of the second week of class in fall and spring semesters)

Dual Degrees

Students may be permitted to complete two degrees simultaneously. For example, students may complete two degree programs in the School of Education or may choose a degree program in the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences along with their School of Education degree. Not all schools/colleges permit dual degrees—e.g., this is not permitted by the College of Letters & Science or by the College of Engineering. Students should confer with an academic dean regarding the ability and feasibility of completing two degrees programs simultaneously. Students wishing to earn two undergraduate degrees must follow these academic policies:

  • If the two degrees to be earned are within the School of Education, at least 30 additional credits and all course and grade point requirements for the second degree must be completed for the second degree. When the first degree requires 120 credits, a minimum of 150 credits for most majors would be required. The two degree programs must differ sufficiently to permit the total credits to be accumulated. Courses may count toward the fulfillment of both degree programs. Permission to complete two degrees simultaneously requires the academic dean's approval. This approval, and the formal academic action permitting the dual degree work, should be sought as early as possible to ensure that it is feasible to complete both degrees.
  • If the two degrees to be earned are from two different schools/colleges (one degree in Education and one degree in another school or college on this campus), the following academic policies shall be followed:
    1. Permission to complete two degrees simultaneously requires academic dean's approval from both schools/colleges. Students should see their current dean's office for the required paperwork.
    2. Admission into the other school/college shall be based on the admission criteria for that particular school/college and, when necessary, particular program.
    3. The two degree programs must differ sufficiently so that the combined total requirements for the two degrees are at least 150 credits.
    4. The student's program must be reviewed and approved in both colleges before the start of a student's senior year in residence.
    5. The degree from each college will be awarded simultaneously.
    6. Exceptions to degree requirements must be taken by staff from the school/college linked to the particular degree.

Grades and Grading

Grading System. See Enrollment and Records for detailed information on the campus grading system, including the list of possible grades and their impact on a student's grade point average.

Credit/No Credit Courses. Courses designated as being offered on a Credit/No Credit basis are indicated on the transcript as either CR, meaning the student earned the credits for which the course was offered, or N, meaning that the student did not earn any credit even though enrolled for the course. Students may not take such courses on any other basis.

"F" Grade Policies. If the course is repeated, the original F will remain on the transcript and will be included in computing the GPA. If a grade of F, N (no credit), or U (unsatisfactory) is received in student teaching or in courses within required practica, the course may be repeated only if the faculty adviser, the supervisor of the practicum or student teaching, and the appropriate associate dean gives approval. A third attempt to register in a course under these conditions is not allowed.

Incompletes. A grade of "Incomplete" may be reported for a student who has carried a subject with passing grades until near the end of the semester and then, because of illness or other unusual and substantiated cause beyond the student's control, has been unable to take or complete the final examination, or to complete some limited amount of term work. An Incomplete is not given to a student who stays away from a final examination except as indicated above. In the absence of substantiated cause, the grade shall be F. Even with such proof, if the student's work has convinced the instructor that s/he cannot pass the course, the grade shall be F.

Any Incomplete taken by School of Education students must be completed by the end of the student's next semester of residence (specifically, by the last day of classes), excluding Summer Sessions. If the work is not completed by this deadline, the Incomplete will lapse into a Failure unless the time limit has been extended in writing by the dean's office. (Note that this differs for College of Letters & Science students: Incompletes for these students must be completed by the end of the fourth week of classes of the student's next semester of residence at UW–Madison, excluding Summer Sessions.)

Pass/Fail Grading. All undergraduate students are eligible to take a course on a pass/fail basis if they request the option prior to the deadline and are in good academic standing at the time they request pass/fail. Good academic standing for this purpose means that students have a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade-point average based on UW–Madison coursework. Undergraduates may carry one course on a pass/fail basis per term. (Each year’s summer sessions collectively count as a single term.)

Pass/fail can be chosen only for elective courses. Required courses cannot be taken on a pass/fail basis. The School of Education may reject pass/fail requests for non-elective work, but it is the student’s responsibility to be sure that the requested course is an elective. Courses taken on a pass/fail basis will not count for non-elective requirements—even if they would normally count toward such requirements.

Students may submit pass/fail requests via their Student Center link from the time that they register until midnight on the Friday at the end of the fourth week of fall and spring semesters. For modular and summer session courses, pass/fail requests must be submitted by midnight Friday of the week in which the session is one-fourth completed. Students may not cancel or add the pass/fail option after the deadline for submitting Pass/Fail Option Forms.

Instructors are not notified when a student elects the pass/fail option. (Students can see whether a course is pass/fail in their Student Center.) When a course is taken on a pass/fail basis, the instructor reports a letter grade, which is converted by the registrar to an S (satisfactory) or U (unsatisfactory). The grade of S shall be recorded by the registrar in place of instructors' grades of A, AB, B, BC, or C. The grade of U shall be recorded by the registrar in place of instructors' grades of D or F. Neither the S nor the U is used in computing the grade-point average. A student must earn at least a C to receive credit for the course.

Please note that courses completed on a pass/fail basis do not apply toward liberal studies, major, minor, or professional education requirements for graduation. Students planning graduate study should not take courses on a pass/fail basis if these are pre-professional requirements for admission to graduate and/or professional programs. Individuals who are undecided about a major should avoid taking a course on a pass/fail basis that might later become a required course needed to complete a major. Students may wish to consult with an advisor before taking a course on a pass/fail basis.

Six-Week Grades. Only first-year students receive midterm, or "six-week" grades. Midterm grades for first year students are prepared at the end of the sixth week of classes and are made available to students in their Student Center in My UW on Monday of the eighth week. An email is sent out to all students with six-week grades informing them of their availability in the Student Center.

The goal of six-week grades is to provide students with important feedback about course enrollment and performance before the course drop deadline. Students should check their six-week grade report to make sure all courses are listed and grades indicated. An "NW" means that "No Work" has been turned in; students who have been attending the course should contact the instructor immediately. In the case of a course registration problem, students should see their EAS advisor immediately.

Grades from Transfer Courses. Grades from transfer courses are not posted to the UW–Madison transcript; however, the School of Education uses all attempted transferable coursework to determine program admission eligibility and selection grade point average. Students should be aware that grades earned at another institution will be included in admission calculations. (Courses for which an "F" is earned do not transfer to UW–Madison.) Student should see their School of Education advisor if they have additional questions about this policy.

Grievance Policy in the School of Education

Any student who feels that he or she has been treated unfairly by a faculty or staff member has the right to complain about the treatment and to receive a prompt hearing of the grievance, following these grievance procedures. The complaint may concern course grades, classroom treatment, program admission, or other issues. To insure a prompt and fair hearing of any complaint, and to protect both the rights of the student and the person at whom the complaint is addressed, the procedures below are used in the School of Education.

The person whom the complaint is directed against must be an employee of the School of Education. Any student or potential student may use these procedures unless the complaint is covered by other campus rules or contracts. The following steps are available within the School of Education when a student has a grievance:

  1. The student should first talk with the person against whom the grievance is directed. Most issues can be settled at this level. If the complaint is directed against a teaching assistant, and the student is not satisfied, the next step would be to talk to the TA's supervisor, who is usually the course professor. If the complaint is not resolved satisfactorily, the student may continue to step 2.
  2. If the complaint does not involve an academic department, the procedure outlined in Step 4 below should be followed. If the complaint involves an academic department, the student should contact the chair of the department. The chair will attempt to resolve the problem informally. If this cannot be done to the student's satisfaction, the student may submit the grievance to the chair in writing. This must be done within 60 calendar days of the alleged unfair treatment.
  3. On receipt of a written complaint, the chair will refer the matter to a departmental committee, which will obtain a written response from the person at whom the complaint is directed. This response shall be shared with the person filing the grievance. The chair will provide a timely written decision to the student on the action taken by the committee.
  4. If either party is not satisfied with the decision of the department, he or she has five working days from receipt of the decision to contact the dean's office (at the number below), indicating the intention to appeal. If the complaint does not involve an academic department in the school, the student must contact the dean's office within 60 calendar days of the alleged unfair treatment.
  5. In either case, there will be an attempt to resolve the issue informally by the associate dean. If this cannot be done, the complaint can be filed in writing with the dean's office. This must be done within 10 working days of the time the appealing party was notified that informal resolution was unsuccessful.
  6. On receipt of such a written complaint, the associate dean will convene a subcommittee of the school's Equity & Diversity Committee. This subcommittee may ask for additional information from the parties involved and may hold a hearing at which both parties will be asked to speak separately. The subcommittee will then make a written recommendation to the dean of the School of Education who will render a decision. Unless a longer time is negotiated, this written decision shall be made within 20 working days from the date when the grievance was filed with the dean's office.

Questions about these procedures can be directed to the School of Education Dean's Office, 377 Education Building, 1000 Bascom Mall, 608-262-1763.

State law contains additional provisions regarding discrimination and harassment. Wisconsin Statutes 36.12 reads, in part: "No student may be denied admission to, participation in or the benefits of, or be discriminated against in any service, program, course or facility of the system or its institutions or center because of the student's race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status or parental status." In addition, UW–System prohibits discrimination based on gender identity or gender expression. Students have the right to file discrimination and harassment complaints with the Office for Equity and Diversity, 179A Bascom Hall, 608-263-2378, sappell@vc.wisc.edu ,Wisconsin Telecommunications Relay Service: 7-1-1.

Independent Learning Course Enrollment

Students occasionally elect to take an Independent Learning course by correspondence/email through the University of Wisconsin–Extension. Many of the courses offered through Independent Learning (IL) can count toward specific degree requirements and students have an entire year to complete the coursework. Individuals interested in enrolling in an Independent Learning course should note the following important issues:

Course equivalencies. Independent Learning courses are not automatically transferable as equivalent UW–Madison campus courses—even when the Independent Learning course carries the same number and title. Use the Transfer Information System (TIS) to insure that the Independent Learning course is equivalent to the campus required course. Faculty and dean's offices may have some discretion in permitting courses to count for requirements even when they are not coded as exactly equivalent; students should see their EAS advisor.

Concurrent enrollment. UW–Extension is an entirely separate institution from UW–Madison. Thus, UW–Madison students must have permission from their academic dean to be enrolled concurrently in another higher education institution. Permission for concurrent enrollment is granted routinely for School of Education students through EAS. Students should go to the registrar's office website for the form. This form both indicates permission for concurrent enrollment and, in some circumstances, provides for waiver of the tuition for the Independent Learning course (see additional information below). Students should take this form to Education Academic Services, 139 Education Building, 1000 Bascom Mall, and meet with an advisor. This form must then be sent to Independent Learning after it has been approved at EAS.

Tuition waiver. The tuition for Independent Learning courses may be waived with dean's permission. Students are eligible for a tuition waiver if they register for an IL course during the semester they are concurrently enrolled at UW–Madison. In some cases, students may be allowed to register for IL classes once they have enrolled in courses for the subsequent semester, linking their IL registration with the credits for the succeeding semester. Students interested in receiving a tuition waiver must be enrolled full time (at least 12 credits) at UW–Madison, and have 18 credits or less after adding the Independent Learning course. Students should see their EAS advisor for additional information on these policies. As indicated above, download and complete the form and submit to EAS, 139 Education Building, 1000 Bascom Mall. This stamped form must then be sent to Independent Learning, with a copy remaining at EAS.

Posting Independent Learning courses to the UW–Madison transcript. IL courses are posted to the campus transcript by staff at Undergraduate Admissions. A transcript for an Independent Learning course must be officially submitted to this office.

Timing for course completion and degree posting. IL courses require a substantial time commitment. Students should not plan to begin an IL course only a few weeks before it must be completed! Perhaps even more important, students completing an IL course to meet degree requirements during their last semester on campus should be aware that the IL course must be completed prior to the University's official graduation date for that semester. The completion date listed on the UW–Extension transcript must be earlier than the UW–Madison graduation date or the student's degree will be awarded after the subsequent semester. For example, if a student's UW–Extension transcript indicates a course completion date of May 25, but the UW–Madison degree completion date is May 23, the student's degree will be posted for the subsequent August graduation date, not for the May graduation day. This could create serious problems for teacher education students hoping to secure a position. For this reason, students completing final degree requirements via Independent Learning should consult carefully with EAS and Independent Learning staff regarding the timing of their course completion and degree posting.

Last 60 Credits Rule

Two grade point averages will be calculated to determine candidates' eligibility to programs. GPAs will be calculated using (1) all transferable college level coursework attempted, and (2) the last 60 credits attempted. The higher GPA of these two will be used for purposes of determining eligibility. If fewer than 60 credits have been attempted, all credits will be used to calculate the GPA. Graded graduate coursework will also be used in all GPA calculations. ("Attempted" coursework indicates coursework for which a grade has been earned.)

The use of the last 60 credits does not supersede other eligibility requirements. For example, when a minimum GPA on prerequisite courses is required, or a minimum major GPA is required to be eligible for admission, all required courses will be used in calculating this GPA. This will include courses taken prior to the last 60 credits. A cumulative GPA, however, will still be calculated based on the last 60 college credits attempted.

Currently, retention and graduation GPAs are based on all credits attempted at UW–Madison as an undergraduate student. If each semester's GPA after admission to the program meets the required GPA for retention, the student will be allowed to continue and complete the program.

This policy does not apply to certification programs in Agriculture Education, Family and Consumer Science, and Music Education, in which the degree is granted from another school or college on campus.

Contact EAS for additional information regarding the interpretation of this policy.

Late Course Adds or Drops

Registration and Timetable regulations are in effect when adding and dropping courses. Students are responsible for knowing and complying with the published drop deadlines. See the registrar's website for deadlines. Students are expected to check their academic records routinely to minimize the need for late drops based on enrollment errors.

Late course add. Students must obtain instructor, departmental, and dean's approval to add a course after the course add deadline. See the registrar's website for instructions.

Late course drop. After the drop deadline, courses may be dropped only with the permission of Education Academic Services. Such permission is not granted routinely, but only in unusual circumstances. Students seeking a late drop will be required to complete a formal request form and may be asked to supply a written justification, medical or other documentation, and/or proof of having consulted with the course instructor. Requests for backdated drops due to ignorance of campus drop deadlines or to remove a "DR" from the student's record will not be honored. Students seeking a late drop must schedule a meeting with an EAS advisor.

The student will meet with the advisor to discuss the drop request. The advisor will collect information about the circumstances around the request. If appropriate, the advisor will warn about the drop's possible consequences for financial aid, insurance coverage, student status (for international students), etc. The decision around the late drop may or may not be made during this meeting. Advisors may confer with instructors as needed to verify students' reports and obtain additional information. Advisors may also require students to contact the instructor and may also consult with one another and with the associate dean about specific cases. Students will be informed via email or telephone about the disposition of their request.

Part-Time Enrollment Status

Students who choose part-time enrollment status or who anticipate falling below full-time enrollment status due to dropping a course should consult with an EAS advisor. Part-time enrollment may have important implications for health insurance coverage or financial aid. It is especially important that athletes and international students consult with EAS and other advisors before choosing part-time enrollment. Students who drop below 12 credits need not leave university housing.

Reentry to Campus after an Absence

Students wishing to reenter UW–Madison after an absence of a semester or more must file a reentry application form. This form is available from the UW–Madison Office of Admissions and Recruitment. If an applicant is not in good academic standing, the reentry application will be referred to the associate dean.

Students admitted to the professional part of a program may leave UW–Madison for a maximum of two consecutive semesters (excluding summer sessions) and be eligible to reenter directly into the program. Students in this situation are not guaranteed immediate placement in a practicum or student teaching placement upon reentry, and graduation may be delayed because of prior commitments to continuing students. Students who leave the program for more than two consecutive semesters (excluding summer sessions) may be considered for readmission only on an individual basis. Lack of space in a program may preclude readmission directly into a program for any future semester. Given the individual circumstances, a student may be required to reapply to the program altogether.

The general policy above may be modified by any particular program so that the conditions of reentry match the structure of the professional program. Some programs require that students obtain prior approval to interrupt the program sequence. All students intending to be absent should leave with a firm understanding of the conditions guiding their reentry into their professional program. Consult with the appropriate faculty advisor and with Education Academic Services.

Repeating Courses

Most courses on the UW–Madison campus may be taken only once for purposes of credit. Some courses may be repeated a limited number of times for credit. Other courses may be repeated an unlimited number of times for credit. When courses are taken more than once, all grades and their associated grade points are included in the cumulative campus grade point average.

Some School of Education professional programs may permit students to retake courses for admission eligibility purposes only. Students should consult EAS staff with questions regarding repeated courses.

Residency (Major and Senior) Requirements

Major Residency. Students must complete at UW–Madison at least 15 credits in upper-level courses in the major. Some programs, e.g. Art, require more credits to meet major residency requirements. Upper-level courses are generally defined as those numbered 300 and above. Retroactive credits and credits granted by examination do not count toward the residency requirement.dents must complete at UW–Madison at least 15 credits in upper-level courses in the major. Some programs, e.g. Art, require more credits to meet major residency requirements. Upper-level courses are generally defined as those numbered 300 and above. Retroactive credits and credits granted by examination do not count toward the residency requirement.

Senior Residency. Seniors in Education must take the last 30 credits in residence. Special permission to take a portion of senior work either at another institution or by correspondence (via UW–Extension) must be obtained in advance from Education Academic Services. Coursework taken as part of a UW–Madison sponsored study abroad program does not count against senior residency. Students should discuss senior residency issues with their EAS advisor. Retroactive credits and credits granted by examination do not count toward the residency requirement.

Satisfactory Progress/Excess Credits

Excess Credits. Effective Fall 2004, Wisconsin resident undergraduates who have accumulated more than 165 completed credits will be assessed a 100% tuition surcharge on credits over 165, as required by the UW System Board of Regents. See Excess Cumulative Credits on the registrar's website for more information about this policy and the criteria used in counting cumulative, completed credits. Note: Students who have already been awarded a Bachelor's degree from any accredited institution are exempt from the tuition surcharge. Special students are also exempt. 

Satisfactory Progress. Second degree candidates and Education Special (non-degree-seeking) Students. The School of Education is enriched by admitting students with a previous degree to our professional programs. We welcome these students and encourage them to apply to our professional programs. At the same time, we recognize that admission as a second-degree or Education Special (designated EDS or EDCS) student is a privilege granted by the School of Education. Second-degree and Education Special students are expected to make the same timely progress toward program completion as are initial-degree students. 

To ensure satisfactory progress, second-degree and Education Special students who are identified to have met any one of the criteria below will be required to confer with her/his program coordinator and the undergraduate academic dean for purposes of developing a formal plan for program completion:

  1. Student has earned over 200 total credits.
  2. Student enrolled for two consecutive semesters without completing requirements for the professional program to which the student was initially admitted.
  3. Student withdrew from classes for two consecutive semesters.
  4. Student failed to enroll in a required course when it was available, particularly those that are intermittently offered.
  5. Student engages in other course selection patterns that result in his/her failing to make progress toward completion of initial program.

Students who do not meet the terms of the plan for program completion may be restricted to enrollment in specific courses or departments, prevented from enrolling entirely, or withdrawn from classes by the academic undergraduate dean after consultation with program faculty. Students may appeal the terms of the plan or any of the dean’s actions above under the provisions of the School of Education Grievance Policy. 

Students with a Previous Degree

A prospective student who already holds an undergraduate degree is admitted to the School of Education as either an Education Special student or a Second Degree student, depending on the academic area of interest and the individual's previous coursework. The term "Special Student" indicates that the student has an interest in pursuing certification in a subject area studied during the initial degree; the student does not receive a second degree for this "certification only" coursework. Second undergraduate degree students are seeking a second degree from the School of Education in an area that is different from the major coursework of the first degree. This degree may, or may not, include teacher certification. Candidates for limited enrollment programs must meet all admission eligibility requirements for the program and must compete with the eligible applicants for program admission.

Special students. Applicants must file an undergraduate application with the Office of Admissions and Recruitment. Education Special students not yet admitted to a professional program are given an EDS classification, are not eligible for financial aid, and enroll last with the other special students on campus. Candidates seeking Special student status in open enrollment programs must obtain written permission for admission from the relevant program coordinator and must submit a professional program application to Education Academic Services. Candidates seeking admission to a limited enrollment program must meet all admission eligibility requirements for the program and must compete with other eligible candidates for program admission. Applicants admitted to a certification professional program become Education Certification Special students (EDCS classification) to distinguish them from Special students not so admitted. Students with an EDCS classification may be eligible for financial aid. Continuing EDCS students may register with undergraduates having junior status.

Second degree candidates. Students who wish to earn a second baccalaureate degree in the School of Education must file an undergraduate application with the Office of Admissions and Recruitment and must file a professional program application with Education Academic Services. Second degree students not yet admitted to a professional program are given a pre-professional classification. Second degree candidates must:

  • be seeking a new major that is substantially different from their previous degree work;
  • complete at least 15 upper-level credits in the new major;
  • complete at least 30 credits beyond their previous coursework.

The determination of whether a student should be admitted as a second degree candidate or Education Special student is made by the faculty advisor in consultation with EAS staff after analyzing the student's remaining requirements. The faculty advisor will determine the specific remaining requirements for students admitted to a program. In addition to completing the requirements specific to the program(s) of interest, returning students must also complete any relevant campuswide requirements, complete the requirements specific to individual program areas such as the Environmental Education, Multicultural and Human Relations, and Cooperatives requirements, and satisfy any high school deficiencies identified at the time of admission to UW–Madison. Students are strongly encouraged to discuss their academic plans with their faculty advisor and must make satisfactory progress toward program completion - see Satisfactory Progress/Excess credits for details.

Withdrawing from UW–Madison

Formal withdrawal procedures must be observed by individuals who wish to leave the university before completing the semester in progress. Students who leave the university without formally withdrawing may receive failing grades in all courses.