School of Education
English Minor Requirements
Note: This minor may be completed only by students admitted to the Content Focus option of Elementary Education
Complete 24–30 credits to include the coursework listed below. A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75 is required, based on all UW–Madison coursework included in the minor. Courses are Department of English (English) listings unless otherwise indicated.
Note: Six credits of introductory literature must be completed prior to enrolling in coursework required for the English minor. Courses with an "L" breadth designation from many departments—e.g., Comparative Literature, Classics, African Languages and Literature, or Theatre—may be selected to meet this requirement. Students are encouraged to explore these options, although introductory English department coursework may also be used in this capacity.
- Complete 241 Literature and Culture I: to the 18th Century, 3, and 242 Literature and Culture II: from the 18th Century to the Present, 3
- Shakespeare—complete one 3-credit course from 218, 219, 220, 431, 432
- Complete one English department elective numbered 204 and above, except for 207 and 236. Note: Students considering a Letters & Science English major should select a pre1800, non-Shakespeare literature course.
- Ethnic Literature—complete one 3-credit intermediate or advanced ethnic literature course. Check the Schedule of Classes for I/A/D level courses that are designated as both literature (L) and ethnic studies (e) courses.
- Curric 431 Young Adult Literature for Schools, 3 (or approved substitute)
- 314 Structure of English, 3 (students are encouraged to take this course as early as possible)
- Applied English Linguistics (in order of preference): 516, 417, 316, 416, 414
- Composition for English Teachers, 3 (consult with an advisor in Education Academic Services for course options)
Additional credits, if necessary, to reach a minimum of 24 credits. Introductory literature may be used.