UW-Madison: Academics: Undergraduate Catalog


University Housing provides room accommodations and food service for undergraduate students in residence halls located in two main campus areas: the southeast area--Witte, Ogg, Sellery, Barnard, and Chadbourne halls; the lakeshore area--Kronshage, Cole, Sullivan, Bradley, Tripp, Adams, Slichter, and Elizabeth Waters halls.

University Residence Halls Food Service offers a wide selection of food choices, multiple dining locations, and long serving hours. After contributing a required food service membership fee, students can decide how much or how little to spend for food purchases in residence hall dining facilities. Students select and pay for only what they want by using the student ID to spend funds they have deposited into a debit card account called the Choice Account.

Most freshmen choose to live in university residence halls. Students looking for an avenue of immediate involvement as well as quality academic and social support while attending the UW-Madison are encouraged to live in the residence halls.

Living Options

Numerous living environments are offered to meet the diverse interests of residents. Students may choose from smoke-free halls, substance-free houses, open or limited visitation, early arrival/winter break housing, coed or same-sex housing, and special-interest houses. Some of the special-interest housing includes the Bradley Learning Community for first-year students only, Honors Houses for participants in University honors programs, a Women in Science and Engineering residential program, and a Wisconsin Emerging Scholars House.

The halls are divided into smaller units called "houses" where 50 to 80 residents live and form a community. A house can be one, two or three floors in a particular hall, or one of several small buildings forming a group. Some of the houses accommodate only men or women. Many houses are coeducational by wing or by alternate floor. Most halls have both double rooms, which are shared by two persons, and single rooms; returning residents are given priority for single rooms. A balance of first-year students and upper-class residents live in most of the houses.

Professional Residence Hall Staff

Residence halls are staffed by Residence Life Coordinators and Residence Life Associate Coordinators who are full-time professionals available to provide resources and support to residents. Residents have the most contact, however, with the House Fellow. The House Fellow is an upperclass or graduate student who lives in the house. House Fellows help students get to know one another and serve as a source of information about the University and its services. The House Fellow represents University Housing and its policies and serves as an adviser to student officers.

Applying for University Housing

An application for admission to UW-Madison is the student's application for housing. The UW-Madison residence halls will send a housing contract to all students admitted to the University by June 1 for the following academic year. After June 1, contracts are mailed to students based on availability of space. Students admitted for the spring semester and wanting to live in the University residence halls beginning the spring semester must submit a separate housing application available by writing to University Housing. For more information, write or call the Assignment Office, Division of University Housing, Slichter Hall, 625 Babcock Drive, Madison, WI 53706; 608/262-2522.

Private Residence Halls and Campus Area Housing

The terms campus area housing or off-campus housing simply refer to all units not owned and/or operated by the University of Wisconsin-Madison. It is difficult to separate the UW-Madison from the community that surrounds it. Housing is plentiful and varied. In addition to university residence halls, good quality, well-maintained housing is available for students who take the time to look carefully.

Apartments, rooms, private residence halls, fraternities, sororities, and co-ops dot the areas heavily populated by students. Access to classrooms, libraries, and recreation facilities is convenient. For students who do not want to cook, food service is available in nearby residence halls or from one of the two student unions. There are six private residence halls in the campus area. They can accommodate approximately 2,000 students. Applications are required.

Computerized listings of privately owned housing are maintained by the Campus Assistance Center, 420 North Lake Street, Madison, WI 53706, 608/263-2400. The listings, updated twice a week, are available at the Center's office. The university is not responsible for the inspection or the condition of the premises listed, compliance with local codes, or for the terms of agreements offered by property owners and/or managers. All campus area private housing is governed by leases (i.e., legal contracts), and students are encouraged to read and understand the nature and terms of these contractual agreements. Students should also personally inspect the living accommodations before signing a lease to make sure they have found a place they are willing to call home for nine to 12 months. Students are cautioned not to sign multiple leases. Managers, owners, and UW residence halls staff are inclined to hold students liable for all lease obligations. There are several agencies to which the Campus Assistance Center will refer students for help when rental problems do arise.

Copyright © 1996 The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System.

[UW Home Page]

[Return to UNDERGRADUATE CATALOG contents page]