UW-Madison: Academics: Undergraduate Catalog

Rules, Rights, and Responsibilities

Academic Honesty

UW-Madison students have the right to expect that they and other students will be graded fairly, and they have the rights of due process should they be accused of misconduct. They also have an obligation to conduct their academic work according to University standards. Therefore, it is important that they: For complete discussion of the rules regarding Academic Honesty, see Resources or ask for a brochure, available at the Dean of Students Office, 75 Bascom Hall.

Student Rights and Responsibilities

Every member of the University of Wisconsin-Madison community has the right to expect to conduct his or her academic and social life in an environment that is free from threats, danger, harassment, or other disruption. Chapter 17, a part of the Wisconsin Administrative Code, is the document that describes student misconduct. Chapter 17 defines conduct that is subject to discipline by the University because it causes harm either to another member of the University community or to the University itself. It also describes the penalties that may be imposed and the procedures for carrying out disciplinary action. Due process for students accused of misconduct is an important part of the procedures. For complete text of Chapter 17, see Resources or contact the Dean of Students Office, 75 Bascom Hall, 608/263-5700.

No student may be denied admission to, participation in or the benefits of, or discriminated against in any service, program, course or facility of the [UW] system or its institutions or centers because of the student's race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status or parental status.

Student Grievance Procedure

Any student at UW-Madison who feels that he or she has been treated unfairly has the right to voice a complaint and receive a prompt hearing of the grievance. The basis for a grievance can range from something as subtle as miscommunication to the extreme of harassment.

Each school or college has a procedure to hear grievances. Generally the process involves an informal attempt to solve the problem, if appropriate. If not, more formal proceedings can be undertaken until a resolution is reached. Advisers and school or college offices have detailed information.

Seeking Advice

A student can seek help at many places on campus, for both personal and academic problems. For answers to general questions on many topics, a good place to start is the Campus Assistance Center at 608/263-2400. The center is an excellent referral service and the staff can help cut red tape.

To handle personal problems, a student should first speak with the person whom he or she believes is causing the difficulty. If the student would rather not approach that person directly, he or she can go to the Dean of Students Office. The staff will offer assistance or refer the student to another campus support center for help. The Dean of Students is Mary Rouse, and she and her staff are located in 75 Bascom Hall, 608/263-5700.

For academic problems, many places can offer help. The student should first discuss the problem with the professor or TA. If the problem is not resolved at that time, the student can speak with the chair of the department. If assistance is needed after that, one of the academic deans in the school or college may be of assistance. Beyond that, a student can make an appointment with the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, 150 Bascom Hall, 608/262-1304.

Copyright © 1996 The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System.

[UW Home Page]

[Return to UNDERGRADUATE CATALOG contents page]