School of Education
Chemistry Major and Minor Requirements
Faculty advisor: Professor John Rudolph, 226A Teacher Education Building, 608-265-3431, firstname.lastname@example.org. Students not yet admitted to this program should consult with advising staff at Education Academic Services (EAS), Room 139 Education Building, 1000 Bascom Mall, 608-262-1651.
Chemistry Major Prerequisites
Note that students must complete prerequisite course work before enrolling in some courses required for the major. For example, Math 222 and Physics 201 or 207 must be completed before taking Chemistry 561. Prerequisite course work may be used to meet liberal studies requirements.
Chemistry Major Requirements
Complete a minimum of 30 credits. The credits required for program admission must be chosen from this course work. At least 15 credits of upper level major course work (221, 223, 300-699) must be taken in residence on the UW–Madison campus. Courses are in the Department of Chemistry unless otherwise indicated.
- Introductory Chemistry; choose one option:
103 AND 104 General Chemistry, 9
109 Advanced General Chemistry, 5
115 Chemical Principles I, 5
- Analytical Chemistry; choose one option:
327 Fundamentals of Analytical Science, 4
329 Fundamentals of Analytical Science, 4
116 Chemical Principles II, 5 (take in combination with Chem 115).
- Organic Chemistry; complete one of the following Organic Chemistry sequences:
341 Introductory Organic Chemistry, 3; 342 Organic Chemistry Lab, 1; AND Biochemistry 501 Introduction to Biochemistry, 3
343 Introductory Organic Chemistry, 3; 344 Introductory Organic Chemistry Laboratory, 2; AND 345 Intermediate Organic Chemistry, 3.
- Inorganic Chemistry; complete 311 Chemistry across the Periodic Table, 4
- Physical Chemistry; select one:
561 Physical Chemistry, 3. Prereqs: Math 222, Physics 201 or 207.
565 Biophysical Chemistry, 4. Prereqs: Math 222, Physics 201 or 207, Biochem 501 or Biocore 303.
- Complete Chemistry electives numbered 300 and above to total 30 major credits. Chem 346 Intermediate Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory, 2 cr, is recommended. Biochem 501, 503; Civ Engr 500, CBE 440, 540; MS&E 400; Pharmacy 430, 531, and 532 may also be selected as elective options.
Chemistry Minor Requirements
The Chemistry minor may be completed by students in Secondary Education Science or Elementary Education licensing programs. A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75 is required, based on all Chemistry minor course work taken on the UW–Madison campus. The graduation grade point average may be modified by the last 60 credits rule (see Science Education Application and Admissions Information).
Secondary Education students may select this minor only if completing a major in another Science certification area. It is not possible to be certified only in a minor area. Interested Secondary Education students must apply and be admitted to the Science program. Admission is limited and competitive. See additional information under the major of choice.
All Secondary students, whether completing their first degree or adding on a teaching minor to a prior certification, should expect to complete a methods course, participate in practicum and student teaching experience, and earn passing scores on a content exam to be recommended for certification. Students wishing to complete a minor must consult with the faculty advisor/program coordinator to discuss its field experience component.
Must complete at least 22 credits, including the following:
- Introductory Chemistry option, Analytical Chemistry option, Physical Chemistry option, and Organic Chemistry sequence for the Chemistry Major
- 311 Chemistry across the Periodic Table, 4
- Additional Chemistry electives to total 22 credits. See recommended elective options above.