Home < Schools, Colleges, and Programs < School of Education < Overview: Secondary Education

School of Education

Overview: Secondary Education (English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies)

The UW–Madison Secondary Education programs in English, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies have been restructured and are changing from undergraduate programs to the graduate level. This change means that students at UW–Madison will only become certified to teach these subjects through graduate-level course work in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction.

Consequently, applications are no longer being accepted for the current undergraduate programs in the following areas: English, Mathematics, Science (Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Space Science, Broad Field/Natural Science, Physics), and Social Studies (Broad Field Social Studies, Economics, Geography, History, Political Science, Psychology, and Sociology). See this FAQ document for more details about this change.

Instead of the current undergraduate program, students who have completed a bachelor’s degree with a relevant major in their teaching area will apply to the full-time professional graduate program. Beginning in summer 2015, the program will run one full academic year and two summers. Students will begin one summer, complete two additional academic-year semesters of classroom and field work, and finish in the following summer. (See the course schedule.)

Graduates will earn a master’s degree from the Department of Curriculum and Instruction along with certification in their subjects of interest—e.g., History, English, Mathematics—as well as certification in English as a Second Language (ESL).

This restructuring does not affect other teacher education programs at UW–Madison. For instance, World Language Education (Spanish, French, German, Japanese, Chinese, and Latin), Elementary Education, and Special Education continue to be available at the undergraduate level.

Advising staff in the School of Education’s Academic Services Office, 139 Education Building, 608-262-1651, can answer questions and confer with students about this change and possible academic alternatives.